Traveling to the Caribbean with Pets and Service Animals By

ServiceDogBanner is Available to Assist when Traveling with Pets and Service Animals!
ServiceDogReady to plan a vacation with ? Will you be traveling with Pets or a Certified Service Animal?  Here are some tips from to help you prepare.

Pets are allowed to enter with a permit. At least six months prior to your arrival, contact the Anguilla Agriculture Department, Tel: (264) 497-2615, or Email:, between 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon or from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for information about how to obtain this permit.


An import permit must be obtained from the Chief Veterinary Officer. The pet must also be micro-chipped and blood tested for rabies titer at an approved lab. The results should be forwarded to the: Chief Veterinary Officer, P.O. Box 1282, St. John’s, Antigua, West Indies, Fax: (268) 460-1759.Â


Cats and dogs from the United States are required to have the following upon arrival in Aruba: A veterinary health certificate issued from the originating country a maximum of 14 days prior to arrival; and a rabies inoculation certificate issued within 30 days prior to arrival.


An import permit is required from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry. Applications for the permits, plus a $10 processing fee, must be made in writing to the Bahamas Director of Agriculture, P.O. Box N-3704, Nassau, The Bahamas. Tel: (242) 325-7502 or Fax: (242) 326-3960. For pets coming from the U.S. and Canada, dogs and cats must be: 1) six months of age or older, 2) accompanied by a valid certificate which states that the pet has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than 1 month and not more than 10 months prior to importation, and 3) accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination.


Dogs and cats are permitted entry only after the Department of Agriculture’s Veterinary Division issues an import permit. The BVI is a Rabies free territory and in order to protect against the spread of this disease, there are regulations that address pets coming in from countries that are known to have outbreaks of Rabies, such as the U.S. mainland and Canada. Of note is that Caribbean nations such as Anguilla, Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Montserrat, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the U.S. Virgin Islands are Rabies-free. Find the correct forms in a downloadable form at:  For more information, call the Department of Agriculture, Veterinary Division, at: (284) 495-2532.


An import permit must be obtained from the Chief Veterinary Officer before the importation of all pets. This permit can be obtained by calling Veterinary Services at: (246) 427-5073 or Fax: (246) 420-8444. A Veterinary Officer must examine the animal before it’s allowed to leave the customs area. Dogs and cats need to be free of any communicable disease. If they come from the UK, Ireland, Jamaica, St. Kitts-Nevis, Antigua, St. Lucia or St. Vincent, they may be imported directly. Pets from all other countries must undergo six months quarantine in Britain after which time an import permit can be secured.


The process for importing animals into Cayman is time consuming and advance planning should begin at least six months prior to shipment. All dogs and cats entering the Cayman Islands must have an import permit issued by the Cayman Islands Department of Agriculture (DOA). Application forms are available from the DOA (Tel: (345) 947 3090, Fax: (345) 947 6501 or email, or in person at 181 Lottery Road, Lower Valley in Grand Cayman.

To obtain an import permit:

•Having your pet fitted with a microchip and submitting a certificate showing the date of the implant
•Being current on rabies vaccinations
•Having a rabies titre (blood) test performed.  Blood samples for the titres is: The Rabies Laboratory, Kansas State University, 2005 Research Park Circle, Manhattan, KS 66502 Tel: (785) 532 4483. Visit the USDA web site for more information.
•Having tick and tapeworm treatments performed
•Completing an application form
•Gaining an Official Veterinary Health Certificate
•Submitting payment of CI$50 (USD $61) to process your application
•Submitting a current photo of your pet.


Cuba does not quarantine cats and dogs that meet the following requirements. All requirements also apply to service and emotional support animals.

•Cuba does not require that your pet be identified with a pet microchip, but it is recommended that you microchip your pet and register your contact information prior to traveling as a means of identification should your pet be lost or separated from you.
•Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days prior to entering the country. Cuba does recognize the 3 year rabies vaccine.
•A rabies titer test is not required to enter Cuba from any country.
•Shortly before travel, a USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian should complete the Veterinary Health Certificate for Cuba for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if your pet is traveling from the United States or Canada. If traveling from the US, a certificate from the Consulate will be required. All documentation listed above must be submitted with copy of pet owner’s passport, payment of consular fee and self-addressed, stamped envelope.
•Pets must enter Cuba via José Martí International Airport in Havana.


Pets can enter the country if accompanied by a valid Veterinary Health Certificate plus an importation permit from the Veterinary Officer of the Ministry of Agriculture, Botanical Gardens, Roseau, Commonwealth of Dominica. Tel: (767) 448-0414.


Pets must have a health certificate issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian. The certificate should contain the name and address of the owner, and complete identification of the animal (name, breed, sex, and age). The pet must also have: 1) been examined within 30 days prior to departure and found to be free of any infectious diseases, and 2) been vaccinated against rabies. The rabies vaccination certificate (which should have been given between one month and 12 months prior to entry) should include the date of vaccination, product name and serial number. For more information, call the Office of Animal Health at: (809) 542-0132.


A health certificate from a veterinarian dated within two weeks of travel. An import permit is also required. The Grenada Tourist Board can fax the permit papers. For more information, call the Veterinary & Livestock Office at: (473) 440-3195 or Fax: (473) 440-4191.


Cats and dogs over three months old are admitted temporarily with certificates of origin and good health (or anti-rabies inoculation), issued by a licensed veterinarian from the country of shipment.


Service and emotional support animals are allowed with the proper documentation.

Cats and dogs must be accompanied by:
•A Veterinary Health Certificate for Haiti, issued not more than 7 days prior to arrival to Haiti ?The document must be issued and endorsed by a veterinarian employed full time by the government of the country of origin (e.g. USDA, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, DEFRA). The document may be filled out and signed by a licensed veterinarian, but must also be endorsed by a government veterinarian.
?The Official Health Certificate is valid for a period of 14 days only. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms. A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included for endorsement.

•Additional rabies vaccination certificate for dogs more than three months old issued not less than 21 days and not more than 11 months prior to arrival
•Possession of required documents does not guarantee entry. All animals and documents are subject to examination at the port of entry by an approved inspector. Should the animal fail to meet entry requirements, the Director of Agriculture, or other governing agency may, at his discretion and at the expense of the customer, order that the animal be refused entry and returned immediately.
•All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Haiti. If the dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the customer’s expense.

The Director of Agriculture reserves the right to refuse entry of any animal for any reason.

Service Animals – In addition to the requirements above for all animals, Service Animals shall have identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, and presence of harnesses, tags or “the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal”.

NOTE: Documentation is not required as a condition for permitting an individual to travel with his or her service animal in the cabin unless a customer’s verbal assurance is not credible.

Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animals – require current documentation (i.e., not more than one year old) on letterhead from a licensed mental health professional stating:
•the customer has a mental health-related disability
•that having the animal accompany the customer is necessary to the customer’s mental health or treatment
•that the individual providing the assessment of the customer is a licensed mental health professional and the customer is under his or her professional care
•the date and type of the mental health professional’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.

NOTE: Service Animals that are not trained or are in training will not be transported.


Dogs, cats and other animals must be accompanied by veterinarian health certificate issued at point of origin, and an import permit from the “Direccion General de Ganaderia y Veterinaria” (General Direction for Cattle Breeding and Veterinary Services). Dogs also require an additional rabies vaccination certificate and distemper and hepatitis certificates.


All dogs or cats must be accompanied by a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian and endorsed by a Veterinary Services veterinarian.


Animals are not permitted to enter Jamaica without going through quarantine in the UK for six months.


Dogs and cats over three months old are admitted temporarily with certificates of origin and good health (or anti-rabies inoculation), issued by a licensed veterinarian from the country of shipment. For more information, contact: The Capitainerie of Le Marin, Tel: (011 596) 596 74 83 83, Fax: (011 596) 596 74 92 02


Dogs and cats may enter with a health and inoculation certificate from a veterinarian dated two weeks prior to arrival.


Pets must have a Veterinary Import Permit before they may enter St. Lucia. This can be arranged for by contacting the Ministry of Agriculture’s Veterinary Department. Cats and dogs must also adhere to the following requirements: 1) be electronically identifiable by having had an acceptable type of microchip implanted, 2) be vaccinated against rabies at or over three months of age, 3) travel into St. Lucia, 180 days (six months) after the date the blood sample was taken, and 4) be treated no more than 48 hours before entry into St Lucia with a preparation for the treatment of ticks and fleas and with an anthelmintic preparation. For more information, contact the Chief Veterinary Officer at: Email:


Pets can enter St. Maarten with a health certificate issued by a veterinarian dated less than 10 days prior to departure. The pet must have a rabies vaccination certificate that has been issued between one month and 12 months before entering the island.


Pets from the US must be in quarantine in the UK for six months before entering. Pets can enter Vincentian waters on yachts but must remain onboard at all times unless the above requirements are met.


Pets entering must be declared to Customs on entry. No animal is allowed ashore unless a permit is obtained from the Veterinary Services Division. It’s also essential to have an importation license. This license must be applied for three months prior to travel. In addition, necessary arrangements must be made 24 hours before arrival in order for the dog or cat to be inspected on arrival.

Dogs and cats from the U.S. are required to undergo six-month quarantine at the Quarantine Station. The quarantine time can be shortened to 30 days if three criteria are met: 1) that dogs have a microchip inserted underneath their skin by a vet before the required rabies vaccine, 2) that dogs or cats are vaccinated against rabies within six months but not more than a year before planned travel, and 3) that pets have a blood rabies test one month after vaccination. Permits to allow pets ashore for walking or exercising are not usually issued. For more information, contact: Veterinary Services Division, Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Marine Resources, St. Clair Circle, St. Clair. Tel: (868) 622-1221; Fax: (868) 622-4240; Email:


Website Design & Development by Ironistic

Contact a Villa Specialist

Not sure where to start your search for a Caribbean villa rental?

Contact a CaribbeanDays villa specialist today! Having visited each and every Caribbean island many times, our specialist can guide you in choosing the right island and villa for your getaway. Fill out the form below to contact a specialist and get started.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call Now