The Island That is ‘tranquility, wrapped in blue’
Anguilla, British West Indies – the island that is ‘tranquility, wrapped in blue’ – chosen by visionaries as the destination of choice for luxurious, five-star resorts; and by all visitors for the pervasive quality found in each level of accommodations. Anguilla’s couples seeking a special, romantic getaway find a small island, gifted with 33 of the best beaches in the Caribbean – some say the world!
Tying the knot on Anguilla is as easy, relaxed and romantic as the island itself. You can marry on a cay, on a boat, at sunset, in a church, on a beach, in a restaurant or on the grounds of a luxurious resort, your own private villa, or a picturesque Caribbean hideaway hotel.
General Anguilla marriage requirements include:
- Couples wishing to marry on the island should obtain a license application from the Judicial Department, open weekdays between 8.30am and 4:00pm.
- Both parties must present proof of identity (valid passport, birth certificate etc).
- If divorced, the original decree must be presented.
- If widowed, a copy of the deceased spouse’s death certificate must be presented.
- A Marriage License must be purchased at a cost of US $284 (including stamp duty) if one partner has been on the island for less than 15 days, or US $40 if the stay is longer. At least 48 hours is required to process the license application.
- Two witnesses must be present during the wedding ceremony.
Additional requirements for a wedding in a Catholic church include:
- Confirmation papers
- Baptismal certificate
- Freedom to Marry papers
- Pre Cana course
- 3-6 months advance notice