Scuba diving to sailing, rafting to surfing
The calm waters surrounding Jamaica coupled with the island’s 150 rivers make it an ideal location for watersports of all types. From scuba diving to sailing, rafting to surfing, opportunities to “get wet” abound. Boston Beach is good for surfing, and Frenchman’s Cove has good snorkeling.
There are water sports operators in all of the major resort areas (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios/Runaway Bay, Port Antonio Area, Negril, etc.), so you should have no trouble finding help if you’re looking to dive, snorkel, or take a cruise. Among the island’s best operators are North Coast Marine Sports in Montego Bay (876-953-2211), Negril Scuba Center (876-957-9641), and Jamaqua Dive Center in Runaway Bay (876-973-4845).
If you’re looking to do something different, here are a few options:
– Take a night cruise on the lagoon near Montego Bay, where phosphorescent waters reveal the outlines of fish as they swim around. Call (876) 954-3229.
– Mobay Undersea Tours (876-979-2281) offers two-hour semi-submarine rides to take in the coral reefs in Montego Bay’s marine sanctuary.
– Swim with the dolphins in a natural cove surrounded by tropical rain forest, rivers, and waterfalls. Call (876) 974-5335 or visit www.dolphincovejamaica.com.
– Take a safari boat tour on the Black River. Call Irie Safari (876-965-2466) or Black River Safari Boat Tour (876-965-2513).
– Cliff jump or cave dive at Mayfield Falls (876-971-0580, www.mayfieldfalls.com)