Nine miles west of Montego Bay is a large private site overlooking perhaps the most glorious view of sea and sky on Jamaica’s renowned north coast. Elegantly perched on eight and a half acres atop this hill is Bambu Villa, a grand six-bedroom private villa distinguished by its classic architecture and appreciated by discerning vacationers.
- 6-bedroom glamorous villa magnificently renovated in 2011
- 10,000-sq-ft home on 8-1/2 acres overlooking breathtaking panorama of Caribbean Sea
- full staff: butler, cook, housekeeper, gardeners, laundress
- 45’ diameter round pool with special section for toddlers
- wireless Internet
- TV den with granite bar and 52” television
- satellite, X-Box and Apple TV
- complimentary overseas calls to US, Canada and land lines in UK
- 2 defibrulators - butler trained to use
- handicap accessible: 2 seamless shower entrances, 8’ wheelchair platform in pool, accessible arrival entrance
- child friendly: connecting bedrooms, SECRET TREE HOUSES (one for boys, one for girls) where kids can hide and be invisible while they watch for pirates of the Caribbean!, pool section for toddlers, nearby complimentary Kids Club
BAMBU was designed by architect Robert Hartley in the early 1960’s as a unique melding of West Indies architecture and Italian Venetian style. Its Palladian arches, dramatic central pool, Italian sculptures and breathtaking view make it one of the most photographed homes in this collection. In 1974, images of Bambu appeared in Slim Aaron’s A Wonderful Time: An Intimate Portrait of the Good Life
Multiple dining areas take advantage of the spaciousness and vast views from this special property. Breakfast at the river is a marvelous way to start the day. Cocktails on the terrace over the bay and dinner in the gazebo feature one of the most beautiful nighttime light shows in the world.
Multi-million dollar renovations of interiors and grounds have resulted in an impressive facelift of this elegant grande dame. Wireless Internet, Apple television, new marble bathrooms and a state-of-the-art kitchen complement lovely new interiors. Today its modern comforts and infrastructure mesh with Bambu’s original Euro charm and glamor. As designer Charles Faudree wrote when it was featured on the cover of Veranda magazine, Bambu is the “….blending Old World elegance with New World comforts.” Its newest folly is an open-air garden shower and bathtub outside a small hideaway bedroom downhill from the main house ... with a nine-mile view across Montego Bay.
Notable also are Bambu's sprawling grounds and gardens. Headed by talented Sam, the gardeners have created a lush and lavish tropical paradise, with natural stone pathways that wind through gardens to unexpected terraces for private quiet times.
With handicap access in mind, a separate entrance designed specially for guests in wheel chairs features a ramp to a level entrance to the villa, avoiding all stairs. The Bambu pool features a broad 4" deep wheel chair platform as well. This shallow water platform is also a thoughtful, safe pool area for toddlers.
If you've left your pets at home while you're on vacation, be advised that Bambu is home to three affectionate Mastiff pups. At your preference, they may be allowed to roam the grounds and come in to play with the guests or be kept in their large, open-air kennel.
Master Bedroom 500 sq ft + 130 sq ft Dressing Room and Office.
High kingsize four-poster bed. Two separate Travertine marble his 'n' hers bathrooms feature double showerheads in each. From the bedroom, French doors open to a 26' covered verandah with a breathtaking view of the sea and the distant town of Montego Bay. The Master Suite is quite private from the rest of the villa. Both showers are handicap accessible.
High kingsize bed. Travertine marble en-suite bathroom with double sinks and spacious walk-in shower. French doors open directly onto south poolside terrace. Bedroom 2 can be considered the second Master.
Bedroom 3 - Children's Room
Two pairs of bunk beds, pink and white and very cute. The single door can remain bolted and locked to prevent unsupervised access to the pool terrace. A pass-through in the children's bathroom leads to Bedroom 4 next door, creating a connecting parent-child suite.
Kingsize bed. En-suite Travertine marble bathroom connects to Children's Bedroom 3.
Bedrooms 5 and 6
Two full/double beds in each. En-suite bathrooms are Travertine marble and have spacious walk-in shower.
Coming this winter:
1-1/2 MORE BEDROOMS
BEDROOM 7 is being added now down the hill from the main house. It will have a queensize bed, small bathroom and totally private outside stone tub and shower. Connecting to the bedroom will be a SINGLE ROOM with one twin bed suitable for a child. These two rustic rooms will share the small indoor bathroom. Here is casual additional space for 1, 2 or 3 more guests. Photos later.
The Tryall Club Membership
A significant amenity for guests in this villa is membership at the excellent Tryall Club. On 2,200 acres, Tryall’s golf course is among the most beautiful in the world. Its 18 hillside and seaside fairways have been home to the Johnnie Walker, Mazda and other PGA championship events. The resident pro offers workshops and private lessons. The Tryall tennis club features nine Nova Cushion courts, some lit for night play, with world-class pro’s on call. All whites required.
The beach is well planned for parents and children. Have lunch at the beach bar. Work out in the well-equipped gym. Jog the marked trails. Snorkeling, kayaking, hobie cat and sunfish are complimentary. Glass bottom boats, charter fishing, a boat to the reef and any captained craft attract various fees. Enjoy the week’s events, including the Monday Night Manager’s Cocktail Party and the Wednesday and Friday night beach parties (Friday Seafood Night on the Beach Buffet is excellent).
On the hill, enjoy the historic Great House for afternoon tea and a magnificent view from the terrace. Shop at the commissary and boutique, meet for happy hour at the bar, and browse a wealth of Jamaican, Haitian and Cuban works and souvenirs in the Gallery of West Indian Art. And don’t miss the massive Tryall pool!
- King( 3 )
- set of Bunk Beds ( 4 )
- Double( 4 )
- 6 Bathrooms
- Security Guard
- Children : Children are welcome
- Pets : Please inquire
- Air Conditioning
- Gym ( Nearby )
- Health Spa ( Nearby )
- Games / Puzzles
- Hair Dryer
- Tennis Court ( Nearby )
- Outdoor Shower
- Ceiling Fans
- Airport ( 22 n )
- Gourmet Kitchen
- Mosquito Net
- Security Deposit: $1000
- $50 reservation fee
- $500.00 refundable damage deposit
- Extra guests over 6 months of age in any room attract a per person per night surcharge.
- A 2-week minimum stay is required for holiday reservations. This can be waived for a client who wants only Christmas Week and will depart no later than December 29. CHRISTMAS WEEK is defined as Dec 20-27, Dec 21-28 or Dec 22-29. NEW YEAR WEEK is defined as Dec 27-Jan 3, Dec 28-Jan 4 or Dec 29-Jan 5
- Where applicable, complimentary drivers are not offered with discounted rates.
- Rates in U.S. dollars.
- Rates based on double occupancy per bedroom.
- Weekly rate is equal to seven times the nightly rate unless noted above.
- Rates subject to change without notice.
- Holiday rates and date periods may vary. Holidays may include Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Easter, President's Day, etc.
- Additional fees may apply. Call for details.
- Check-In: 1:00 PM
- Check-Out: 11:00 AM
- •2 defibrulators - butler trained to use
- •handicap accessible: 2 seamless shower entrances, 8’ wheelchair platform in pool, accessible arrival entrance
- •child friendly: connecting bedrooms, tree house, pool section for toddlers, nearby complimentary Kids Club