Destination weddings

Destination weddings are becoming increasingly popular for couples who want a more intimate wedding in an exotic location. You may choose to wed on the beach, in a tropical garden, or at your villa.

If you would like to get married on St. Martin, you’ll need to know that on the French side, you’ll need to be on the island for at least 30 days before the big day, whereas the Dutch side allows non-residents to marry more easily. Couples planning to get married on St. Maarten have to be at least 21 years old and request permission to marry from the Lt Governor of the Island Territory of St. Maarten (address below). Note that it may take up to two months to receive a reply. If permission is granted, you will be issued a temporary tourist permit in order to contract a marriage. Registration at the office of Civil Registry needs to take place at least ten days before the marriage. This can be done by faxing the office below.

Additionally, the following documents are required:

– Birth certificates of both parties are required.
– Addresses of both parties
– Duration of stay on St. Maarten
– Names of parents, maiden names of mother including place of birth and birth date
– Professions of the bride, groom, and the parents.
– Six witnesses if the marriage is to be performed outside of the Marriage Hall, 2 witnesses if it is to be performed at Wedding Hall. Non-Dutch witnesses must present a valid passport or a birth certificate with a picture ID.
– Unmarried persons must present a declaration of marital status not older than 3 months

Divorced persons may remarry on St. Maarten, but need to provide a recent extract of divorce of this current year. If divorced, a divorce certificate or a final judgment decree. Divorced women can only remarry after 306 days upon inscription into the registry of divorce at the office of Civil State.

All paperwork needs to be translated into Dutch by an official translator or a notary public, in which case the notary’s signature, stamp, and seal must be included as well. On island, the following person can do the translation:

Cheryl LaBega
Government Administration Building
Clern La Bega’s Square
Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Please note that one to two weeks is required for translation.

The cost for contracting foreign marriages is approximately US$275.55 and includes a civil ceremony, marriage books, stamps, and certificates.

Chief Registrar
Office of Civil Registry and Census Office
Soualiga Road
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Tel: 011-599-542-2457
Fax: 011-599-542-4267

Lt Governor Franklyn Richards
Government Administration Building
Clem LaBega’s Square
P.O. Box 943
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Fax: 011-599-542-4884

The registrar’s office should be contacted for specific rules regarding planning your wedding on St. Maarten.

Website Design & Development by Ironistic

Contact a Villa Specialist

Not sure where to start your search for a Caribbean villa rental?

Contact a CaribbeanDays villa specialist today! Having visited each and every Caribbean island many times, our specialist can guide you in choosing the right island and villa for your getaway. Fill out the form below to contact a specialist and get started.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call Now